God’s purposes for the world in the death of Jesus Christ are unfathomable, writes John Piper in his latest book, The Passion of Jesus Christ: Fifty Reasons Why He Came to Die. He adds, “Infinitely more important than who killed Jesus is the question: What did God achieve for sinners like us in sending His Son to die?”
How important it is that we grasp–and share–the sovereignly designed purposes behind the Passion of Jesus Christ. Here are Ten of them:
1) To give eternal life to all who believe on Him
2) So that we would escape the curse of the law
3) To destroy hostility between races
4) To give marriage its deepest meaning
5) To absorb the wrath of God
(1 John 4:10).
6) To reconcile us to God
7) To show God’s love for sinners
8) To show Jesus’ own love for us
(Galatians 2:20,Matthew 20:28).
9) To take away our condemnation
10) To bring us to God
(1 Peter 3:18).